Care & Maintenance
Traditionally from Northern India, our fire bowls are perfect to use for everyday cooking, entertaining, or simply to enjoy as a fire pit. To get the best experience from your fire bowl, simply follow the instructions below:
Always make sure your fire bowl is on a level surface (do not use on decking or any other wood base) before lighting, cover the bottom evenly with 5 to 10cm of course sand (not beach sand). This will ensure that your bowl will retain its heat for longer and will help to prevent the ground underneath from burning.
To use as a fire bowl:
- Make a pyramid using paper, placing kindling or firelighters at the centre.
- Light kindling or fire lighter and gradually add larger pieces of wood to increase the flames and keep it burning.
To use as a barbeque:
- Make a pyramid using charcoal and place a firelighter in the centre.
- Light and wait for the charcoal to turn grey/white in colour.
- You are now ready to cook.
- After barbecuing you can continue to use your bowl as a fire pit by adding wood as soon as possible after cooking.
- Never line your bowl with beach sand, as this contains salt.
- Only burn dry wood – the dryer the wood, lesser the smoke!
- To prolong the life of your fire bowl, thinly coat a layer of vegetable oil in-between uses.
The grill may become sticky due to protective oil, but this will burn off as you use your fire bowl. Your fire bowl will take on a natural rust – this is all part of your bowl’s character!
Iron cooking accessories (Pan, Skillets and Kadai Bowl)
Our iron cooking accessories are coated with a protective oil before transportation, therefore you will need to carry out a traditional ‘curing’ process prior to use. Simply follow the instructions below:
- Burn off the coating by heating your iron cooking accessory on a medium heat, let it cool and then wash in warm soapy water.
- Thoroughly dry and re-heat to remove any additional moisture.
- Whilst hot, thinly coat with vegetable oil.
- Once cool, wipe away any excess oil with kitchen paper towel.
- Re-heat and then cool again and you are now ready to use your iron cooking accessory.
- Never use a dishwasher as this will remove the oil finish.
- Repeat the process occasionally to ensure your iron cooking accessory is kept in tip top condition.