Indian Fire bowl Vegetarian BBQ Recipes
The Ultimate Veggie Burger
This recipe is straight from Jamie Oliver’s cookbook and is absolutely fantastic. A hearty burger that is guaranteed to please any vegetarian and every non-vegetarian.
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 350g firm Silken Tofu
- 1 large Free-range Egg
- 75g Wholemeal Breadcrumbs
- 2 heaped teaspoons Marmite
- 8 ripe Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 sprigs of fresh Basil
- 4 soft Wholemeal Burger Buns
- 400g mixed seasonal Salad Veg, such as Cucumber, Red Cabbage, Apples, Cress, Baby Spinach
- Olive Oil
- 2 sprigs of fresh Rosemary
- 50g Cheddar Cheese
- 50g Gherkins
Creamy Basil Dressing:
- 4 tablespoons Natural Yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon White Wine Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 4 sprigs of fresh Basil
- ¼ of a fresh Red Chilli
- Wrap the tofu in a clean tea towel, then squeeze and wring it out to remove the excess liquid. This is really important as it is key to get that great burger texture later.
- Take the tofu out of the towel and pop it in a bowl. Crack in the egg and then add the breadcrumbs and Marmite. Mix and scrunch together, then shape into 4 even-sized patties that’ll fit nicely in your buns once cooked.
- Roughly chop the tomatoes and put into a dry non-stick frying pan on a high heat with a pinch of black pepper, a splash of water and the vinegar.
- Squash the tomatoes with a potato masher, cook for 10 to 15 minutes, or until thick and delicious, then tear in the basil leaves and season to perfection.
- Finely slice or prep all the salad veg. Next, pick the basil leaves into a blender and blitz with all the other dressing ingredients and a pinch of salt and pepper until super-smooth.
- Get your fire bowl ready up to a medium heat and place the patties on top. Place the rosemary leaves on the patties for extra flavour and cook for 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Slice or grate the cheese, place on the patties, take off the heat, then cover and leave to melt for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Spread the tomato sauce into the buns and toss the salad with half the dressing as the other half can be used another time.
Grilled White House Pizza
A surprising addition to a barbecue but a very welcome one. It has a fantastically rustic and authentic look and tastes incredible. Sweet potatoes add welcome texture to pizza—and they're delicious with tomato sauce!
Total time: 20 minutes
- 2 Sweet Potatoes sliced
- 2 Small Aubergines sliced
- 1 Red Pepper chopped
- 60ml Olive Oil
- Salt and freshly Ground Pepper
- 2 280g Ready Rolled Pizza Dough
- 340ml Tomato sauce
- 350gm Grated low-fat Mozzarella
- Fresh Basil
- Get your fire bowl ready to a medium-high heat and in a large bowl toss the vegetables with ¼ of the olive oil and 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Grill until softened but still crunchy, about 10-12 minutes for sweet potatoes, 6-8 minutes for the aubergines and peppers. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Roll out dough to two 9-by-18-inch pizzas, about 1/8-inch thick. Brush one side of each pizza with 1 tablespoon olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and grill with oiled side face down on grate for about 9 minutes. Brush other side of pizzas with remaining olive oil, then flip and grill until cooked through, about 9 minutes more. Spread tomato sauce over pizzas and top with grilled vegetables followed by mozzarella. Tent top with foil, until cheese is melted, about 2 minutes. Garnish with basil.
Grilled Avocado Caprese Crostini
The combination of grilled sourdough bread with garlic, cheese, tomatoes and avocado is something you have to try. It looks incredible and tastes amazing.
Total time: 10 minutes
- 8 pieces thick sliced Sourdough Loaf (or loaf of choice)
- Garlic Olive Oil
- 1 Avocado , sliced thinly
- 250 vine ripened Cherry Tomatoes , halved
- 100 g | 3.5oz fresh baby Mozzarella Balls
- 1/2 cup Basil leaves , divided
- Balsamic Glaze
- Firstly, get your fire bowl ready to a medium heat.
- Next, place the bread onto a baking tray/pan and drizzle with olive oil. Place on the grill until crisp and golden.
- Top each bread slice with half of the basil leaves, the avocado slices, tomato halves and mozzarella. Season with salt and/or pepper to taste, and place back onto the grill, but be sure to put it on the cooler side to avoid burning the bread. Check every couple of minutes.
- Finely chop remaining basil leaves and sprinkle over the crostini. Drizzle with balsamic glaze to serve.